Tuesday, February 17, 2009

An Uncomfortable Place

I woke up in an uncomfortable place today! It's a place where God put me, it's unfamiliar territory...to me...but not to God. It's more of that repositioning taking place! I didn't sleep good last night because of all the discomfort I felt....in my mind...in my heart...in my spirit. What is this God...why am I feelng this way? You're taking me from a place I've known for years, a place I've made my home, all my family and friends are here, we all speak the same language. What's this, God? I don't understand...I thought I would be here forever...LOOK! This is my spot....finders-keepers, losers-weepers. This is the most comfortable place in the world, it's so soft & cuddly, keeping me warm in a cold world.....it's a cold world out there, Lord, did you know that?!

Now, you've taken me from that place of comfort and put into this uncomfortable place. My seat is cold...I don't know these people...and they don't know me. Why God...what is this all about? I have to find my way around here and you didn't even leave me a road map. I have to learn a new language and I didn't even have a chance to study.

But wait...ok, here we go! You left me a manual, it's pretty thick but I think I can handle it. It has all the instructions I think I need in this new place...it's still a little uncomfortable but now I don't feel so alone.

In this manual, God tells me "...I know the thoughts that I think toward you...thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you an expected end." Jere. 29:11

So, I guess wherever God takes me, He'll provide, He has a plan for me, there's hope for my future. So, I guess I don't have to worry about where He's taken me from but where He's taking me to. And that doesn't mean that where I came from was insignificant, it was just used as a slingshot to get me to my next destination.

That was once me, not understanding why I had to switch careers, make new friends, move to a different city, join a new church family! But now I get it!

When we go through different things in our lives and God starts moving things around like a jigsaw puzzle, it's hard to understand at first. It's hard to understand losing a job, losing a house or car, losing a loved one or losing friends. But we have to know that in God we are going to suffer some discomfort "knowing that the trying of our faith worketh patience". Like a wonderful Apostle I know always says "God wants you comforted but He doesn't want you comfortable!". And I learned that to be true the hard way...but it's all good!

Be open to what God wants to do in your life...don't stay stuck...let Him take you to an uncomfortable place, it's all for your good!!

1 comment:

  1. I love it. What I've found is that the uncomfortable eventually turns into familiarity and then a place of like and comfort. And, you know what's around the corner again - uncomfort. The move and the shake, which you may as well embrace because it yields growth, knowledge, wisdom and expansion.

    Good words of wisdom to live by. Thanks for sharing and reminding us that everything happens for a reason and in a season and nothing by chance. I'm so uncomfortable, I'm becoming nomadic - we may as well get used to it.

    ReplyDelete